.

Pages

First Paragraph: Benazir Bhutto


1
The Path Back

As I stepped down onto the tarmac at Quaid-e-Azam International Airport in Karachi on October 18, 2007, I was overcome with emotion. Like most women in politics, I am especially sensitive to maintaining my composure, to never showing my feelings. A display of emotion by a woman in politics or government can be misconstrued as a manifestation of weakness, reinforcing stereotypes and caricatures. By as my foot touched the ground of my beloved Pakistan for the first time after eight lonely and difficult years of exile, I could not stop the tears from pouring from my eyes and I lifted my hands in reverence, in thanks, and in prayer. I stood on the soil of Pakistan in awe. I felt that a huge burden, a terrible weight,  had been lifted from my shoulders. It was a sense of liberation. I was at home at long last. I knew why. I knew what I had to do.

-----
First Paragraph is a new feature on this blog. For me, the first paragraph, or even the first sentence, should catch my interest for the book to merit my attention. Is it the same for you? :) Well, then, let's explore first paragraphs of books together.


Like this post? Subscribe to Mis(s)Usage.
Be social and click the buttons below.

0 comments: